Monday, January 21, 2008

Recipe question - Salt Cod In White Gravy.

This is not a recipe, but a question about one of my favorite foods.

I can remember my parents buying salted cod fish at our local market. The fish was packed in wooden boxes, was very salty. I believe the product was packed by Gorton's.

I remember my mother preparing this fish in the following manner.

She would tear off strips of the fish, wash it in cold water to get most of the salt off the fish, then cut the strips into much smaller pieces, and soak the pieces in cold water for awhile.

She would then prepare a gravy of flour and water, not too thick to start, and cook the pieces of salt cod in this gravy for awhile.

She would have boiled potatoes prepared, and we would spoon the fish and gravy over boiled potatoes, add a bit of black pepper, and eat. To me, it was one of the most wonderful meals anyone could serve. Some of my relatives would put the gravy over toast, but I much preferred the gravy over boiled potatoes. I once tried it over mashed potatoes, but didn't care much for that.

Anyway, does anyone out there have a recipe for the gravy? I imagine a white sauce recipe might work, but don't want it to become too thick.

Any information will be appreciated.